Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Ending the Fast Food Habit

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketDid most of you see this documentary three years ago? I watched it back then and realized how horrible fast food is health wise. Do you remember the part where McDonald's french fries were left to rot in a container for several weeks and they looked virtually the same as they did fresh at the end of that time period? The whole thing made me determined to stop eating fast food. The documentary was very eye-opening. Alas, I was such a hypocrite! It wasn't long before I was right back to eating crummy fast food for convenience. This has continued right up till now, but a few days ago something awful happened.

We went to Wendy's and got something for the kids and took it to the park. We've never had a problem with their food before. My son ate 3 chicken nuggets and some french fries before my hubby and I tried them. We could immediately tell that the oil was old! They were absolutely disgusting. I can't even describe how very nasty it was. And sure enough, several hours later, my little boy was very sick with diarrhea. I felt so horrible and sad that we had unknowingly fed my baby bad food. I was on the verge of calling the doctor. He's OK now, so it only affected him for one day.

Anyway, this experience renews my determination to continue cooking healthy home cooked food for my family. It's difficult sometimes, but I don't want my family suffering from eating bad food or unhealthy fast food. We'll never eat at Wendy's again, but not only that, I need to find a way to stop eating fast food all together. There are healthy delis and other similar restaurants that I could go to. Also, I should always taste the food before I feed it to my children.

2 comments:

Bar L. said...

HOW HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be so upset too. Poor little guy and shame on Wendy's!!!

zingtrial said...

I came here for a quick read and liked reading through :) I can only suggest my own upbringing which involved eating the same meals as my parents whether you preferred it or not. Instant food and fizzy drinks were not a feature of my childhood, although once at school it was impossible to stop me buying sweeties during breaks He!He!He!. My mum is a good cook . Poverty also helps to keep you thin.
Wish you all the best