Saturday, September 15, 2007

Brandy

Update about this- Apparently, Brandy had bipolar disorder. I don't know if she was getting help for this or not, but she was diagnosed with it at some point. It really bothers me, and makes me realize how important it is to get help when you're having depression problems. The more I find out about this, the sadder it is.


A childhood friend from my hometown committed suicide two weeks ago. I just found out today. She was just 26 years young. She left behind her husband and three young children. The youngest is 1 and 1/2 and my Mom heard him crying for his Mommy. This is the first time that I've ever known someone who committed suicide. I remember this happy laughing little girl who I liked to pretend was my little sister. She went to my church and her Aunt used to babysit me, my brothers and Brandy. We used to all play together along with her cousins. She was just this beautiful little girl with big violet blue eyes who was always smiling and laughing and happy. That's what I remember. How could this happen? I ache for those poor babies. The poor dear things. This is just horrible. I don't understand it. I just don't understand. Please say a prayer for her family.

4 comments:

Bar L. said...

I am so sorry. Suicide is the hardest type of death to deal with. I've lost two cousins and a dear friend. I hurt for those kids, but also for Brandy. It may seem like a selfish way out, but usually its the only answer the person can see. Their hopelessness outweighs anything else. Its hard to imagine getting to that point. I think there is a lot of untreated depression out there.

Hugs to you.

Linda said...

Sorry to hear about this. Suicide is an awful thing. It is so hard for the family afterwards. My Aunt committed suicide in my grandparents house and my grandfather found her. He was devistated. There are usually warning signs, but sometimes we just don't recognize them. I hope that her kids will only remember the good times.

ChristyTN said...

This has been on my mind all weekend. It's so sad that she felt that this was the only way out & that she had no hope. My Mom said that she was always smiling and seemed happy even recently. She was an outgoing person, but maybe she couldn't express her private pain. I just don't know.

I don't know much about her life in recent years except that she had her first child when she was a teenager.. a little girl who looked just like her. I saw her first daughter several years ago when I visited TN. Then she married a few years ago and had two more children..two little boys.

I wonder about so many things. Did she have untreated postpartum depression? It's just the saddest thing. I feel so sorry for Brandy too. It's especially hard for me to understand because she was right their in the middle of a huge extended family of some of the kindest and most caring people that I've ever known... people that I've known since babyhood.

I looked up her obituary online because it felt so unbelievable when my Mom told me. One thing that stood out and made me think was this quote from the obituary: "Her greatest accomplishment was her children". I think that she was just 15 when she had her first child. She didn't get to have a normal teenhood, so I wonder if she felt trapped or something.

My brother was friends with Brandy. She actually had a little crush on him when he was in high school..he felt like he was too old for her. I haven't talked to him yet, but I think he is probably very upset by this. He still goes to her church and continued to be friends with Brandy and her family. The last time I talked to him, he was telling me all about her three children.

HLiza said...

OMG..so sorry to hear this..I feel sad for the kids too. They will have hard time all their life wondering why she did that..and especially the husband. This reminds me of the movie 'In Her Shoes' starred Cameron Diaz..My heart goes to the kids.