Friday, May 11, 2007

Special Grandmothers

Painting by Dorothy Sullivan
I was very lucky to get to meet all four of my great grandmothers. I also got to know my two grandmothers very well. This is a list of memories that are special to me.

My father's mother whom I called Mamaw E. taught me how to blow bubbles with pink bubble gum. She also made me beautiful homemade quilts and toys for birthdays and Christmases. I cherish the Holly Hobby blanket that she made for my third birthday. I still have it. Mamaw E.'s favorite color was pink.

My Mother's mother Mamaw W. loved to read. She took me to the public library for the first time when I was six years old and we checked out a book about a cat. Her dog "Lucky" came into the library with us. When she was suffering from cancer, I used to spend the night with her and we'd stay up late chatting and reading books. Her favorite colors were yellow and red.

My Great Grandmother F. was so sweet. When she would get excited about something she would say "Lordy! Lordy! Lordy!" She used to own a restaurant in her younger days and could make the most delicious and beautiful looking yellow cake with white icing. One time when my brother and I got in a fight at her apartment, she gave us one stern look, and we immediately stopped. I also remember seeing her with her hair down once. It was thick, wavy and shining silver. I told her that it was pretty and she laughed.


My Great Grandmother W. was very quiet. She lived nearby, so she babysat me some when I was little. I remember eating lots of treats there. She always had some of those candy orange slices for me. She made pretty dresses for my dolls. She had a beautiful flower garden with all colors of my favorite "Sweet Williams". She made banana pudding for every family picnic, and would always take me aside and tell me that she made it especially for me. When she was older, she had Alzheimer's. When she didn't recognize alot of other people, she still knew who I was because I had the darkest hair in the family. I guess that triggered her memory and she would say "There's that little dark-haired Christy girl".

My Great Grandmother B. baked an apple pie every Sunday. I remember going there for Sunday dinners. One mother's day we visited her and I got in trouble with my parents for picking a big cluster from her beautiful blue hydrangea bush. She didn't mind, though, and laughed and told me to keep it. I didn't get to see her for several years after my father died, and I'll never forget the Christmas after that time period. She gave me the biggest hug and held me close for a long time.


Great Grandmother E. was always sitting in a rocking chair when I visited her. She always had a big smile on her face and gave me a big hug every time I saw her. I don't remember her as well, but I do remember that she was happy and loved seeing us children.




No comments: