Saturday, May 12, 2007

I'm a Mommy....not a kleptomaniac.

Well, I really feel like a Mommy wiping runny noses all day. I just filled the vaporizer and moved it from MG's room to MB's room. He's just now getting the cold and I think MG is just getting over it. At least I'm almost all the way better. I remember my Mom using the vaporizer with me. It was so soothing....even the sound of the steam blowing out seems to be relaxing.

I took the kids to Wal-mart this morning because they had a special breakfast event to benefit the Children's Miracle Network. Someone was dressed up like Tony the Tiger and Ernie the Keebler Elf. There was also a clown with balloons. MG and MB had so much fun & got a free picture with Tony. I had MB in his stroller instead of a shopping cart.

Afterwards, I did a bit of shopping. I needed a small laundry basket for MG's room. I was able to place the laundry basket on top of the stroller's handles & then I filled it with the other things that I needed. When we paid for the items, the cashier just put them back into the laundry basket to make it easier to carry it all out to the car. So I was pushing the stroller, balancing the laundry basket of things on top with two balloons attached while trying to keep MG with me. Very inconspicuous. That's when the stupid thing happened.

The door greeter lady came running over to me with a stern and alarmed look on her face. She asked in a slightly accusatory voice, "Do you need a cart?!" I thought that she was concerned that I needed help getting the things and the kids to my car, but she thought I was shoplifting. When I answered "No, thanks. I'm ok," she said "Well, I need to see your receipt!" Meanwhile, MG was already halfway out the door. I was having to yell at her to stop while digging around for the receipt. Fortunately, it was in the basket with the stuff, so I had to hand it to the lady while she checked it to make sure I wasn't stealing chap stick. Yes, I was brazenly shoplifting with my entourage of kids and balloons. Remind me that the next time I try to shoplift, I need to strip naked and balance the stolen merchandise on my head. That way I might call a little more attention to myself ,and it would slow me down just a bit more so that I could get caught going out the door.

I've never stolen anything in my life, so it did hurt my feelings that this happened. Perhaps the lady was just doing her job, but it kind of went against logic if you ask me. Thank goodness I found the receipt quickly or it could have been a much worse scenario! It bothered me, too, that my daughter almost wandered out the door without me. I'm not too mad realizing it was a misunderstanding, but it wasn't the best situation. I'm over it now. So, I have a question for you....Have you every been wrongly accused of stealing something?

I'm looking forward to hanging around here tomorrow to celebrate Mother's day. Then Monday is my 34th birthday and MG's last day of preschool picnic. That will be fun. Hope that you all have a happy mother's day! Have a good one!


2 comments:

Linda said...

First and foremost, Happy Mother's Day!

I have had the same thing happen at Walmart, but it was something that was in the cart that I had actually missed, so I did try to shoplift. It was so embarrassing!!

Bar L. said...

Oh brother!! Sorry you had to go through that.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO A WONDERFUL MOM WITH TWO SPECIAL KIDDOS!!