Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Disturbing News

Well, two terribly sad things have happened in the last few days. My brother's 8 year old brother-in-law was shot by accident on Saturday. He is the epitome of Huckleberry Finn...always playing in the creek and woods catching turtles, snakes and frogs. Around 3pm on Saturday, he was out in the woods looking for turtles. Somehow, a neighbor shot Randall. Both of his arms were injured. His right arm is going to be ok, but his left arm was hurt badly, shattering the bone and severely injuring the muscle. He was in serious condition and will be in the hospital for a while. The doctors don't know if he'll lose his arm or not.

This little boy is a tough little guy. I feel that he'll make it through this, but it really makes me upset that this happened. I don't know all the details, but it sounds like the neighbor thought he was a stray dog and was trying to scare away from his property. Please keep this little guy in your prayers. He's going to have a tough time staying inside and resting while his arms try to heal.

MM and I had been discussing what books and dvds to send Randall to help him feel better and give him something to do. Of course, we talked about The Crocodile Hunter show. Randall is one of his biggest fans.
It really was a shock when I learned that Steve Irwin died. It made my heart hurt just to think about it, and it was so upsetting especially after hearing about what happened to Randall. We really liked Steve Irwin too. He was just so funny and so wonderful in his work with animals and educating everyone ...especially kids...about them. I feel sad for his wife and kids. I'm also worried about how it'll affect Randall.

I feel better writing about all this. Both things are weighing heavily on my mind. I am very thankful that the little boy wasn't shot anywhere worse. It's a miracle that he wasn't killed. We are going to send him the books and a dvd about reptiles. I hope that will help him. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

***I wrote in green for all the lovely crocodiles, snakes, frogs, turtles and other slithering crawling things that little boys love.




6 comments:

On My Watch said...

I'm very sorry about this incident and will keep you guys in my thoughts. He's one very lucky little boy - - with a very stupid neighbor.

I hope all turns out well and he heals quickly.

David Amulet said...

My thoughts are with you and MM. This is horrible news but, like OMW, I'll choose to focus on the good news that he was not more seriously injured.

Hang in there--you have good vibes coming your way.

-- david

Unknown said...

Even if this poor little boy WAS a stray dog, since when is it legal to shoot at it?!

GEEZ -- so sorry to hear about this...but glad that it is "just" an injury and not a fatality. Clearly this little Huck Finn is destined for more out of life.

UnHoly Diver said...

My thoughts and prayers are with Randall and your family. Hopefully, he'll recover fully.

Mike said...

That's horrible. Hopefully he's going to be ok. I feel for hios parents too. What a thing to have to deal with.

Bar L. said...

Very sad to hear this news. I'll add Randall to the prayer list I have over at my blog.

Many of us are going to miss Steve. My son has a whole collection of fun pets (snakes, liszards, etc) thanks to that guy!