Wednesday, September 20, 2006

First Words!

Today MB talked!! I really wasn't expecting it this early...he's just 8 months old. I was in the kitchen with MB in his walker. He likes to start out at the sink, and then he walks backwards to the hallway. Whenever he does that, I always wave at him and say "bye-bye!" We've been doing this for several weeks. Today he answered me, and said "bye-bye". Then I got MG to say it to him, and he answered her too. I was so surprised! It made me cry, too. It's very bittersweet. They don't stay babies very long.

Today MG said something new, too. She was putting together a puzzle, and she said, "Chris, I need help." I thought that I was hearing things, and then she repeated it. The teacher was calling me Chris at the pre-school, so I guess that's where she picked it up. I said, "I'm Mommy! I'm Mommy!"

I've been remembering MGs first words. The very first thing she said was "Oh!" Then a little later she started saying "Wow!" I think that she started saying "kitty cat" soon after that and then "Daddy". It's funny the first words that they end up saying. Hmmm...I wonder if first words hint at the kid's character. MG is very curious and inquisitive and full of wonder of the world "WOW!" MB is ready to go go go, just as soon as he can get those chubby legs moving. "BYE-BYE!"

3 comments:

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I'm going to assume MB and MG is code for "my boy" and "my girl?"

Yay, MB!!!!

Mike said...

It's cool when you hear a word in the middle of their drooling, babbling banter.

Ray - MB = Metal Girl and MB = Metal Boy. Her husband is Metal Mark.

Linda said...

Now Ray, you should know that! Metal Mark is one of your oldest friends. We will give you a pass this time!!!

Yeah for Metal Boy. I am so happy for you. You are right about it being bittersweet!

I always am kind of sad when Sophia does things for the first time, because I know that she can never do it for the first time again.

Today is her 3rd birthday. With her starting preschool last week, I am feeling very happy/sad about everything (or maybe it is pregnancy hormones). It seems like only yesterday, she was a baby.

I think is it funny that MG (almost used her real name) is calling you Chris. Sophia calls her daddy, Bob about 50% of the time. She almost never calls me by my first name. Bob started to wonder if people thought that he might not be her dad, but my boyfriend or something.

We are living in exciting times, my friend!