Thursday, November 09, 2006

Sick Days

During my 7 years of working at my current job, I've rarely taken off sick except for the 6 months of maternity leave. I had to take off last evening and will take off again tomorrow. Tomorrow is our "staff day" where everyone in the organization goes to special workshops and we have a nice lunch. Well, I'm missing it for the first time and that feels very strange. MG is mostly better, but she is still sick enough that I can't have a babysitter tomorrow. The person who was going to take care of her has a child of her own who doesn't need to be exposed to the stomach virus.

I was actually kind of looking forward to being away for the day and have a mixture of feelings about it. Maybe I really need to make time for MM and I to go out somewhere just the two of us. We haven't done that since before MB came along and only once after MG came along! I love being with the kids and love that they are not in childcare, but it would be good to have a few hours to see a movie or go hiking or do something that we can't normally do with the kids. I guess it's kind of sad that staff day was the one day that MM and I were going to have time away from the kids together. I've been a little depressed about it.

I think I'll try to take the kids somewhere fun tomorrow if they are both feeling well enough. MB hasn't caught the virus (yet), but I think that mommy milk might help protect him from some things. If that proves true, I'm very glad that I've continued nursing him this long. We may have trouble with weaning, but I feel that he's a healthier little boy because of it.

I've had fun Christmas shopping this year. It's been a little tricky though. We have bought most things with the kids in tow. MG is getting a wooden train set with Thomas characters and a Cabbage Patch Kid newborn doll. MB is getting a LeapFrog train set and Barney shape sorter. He loves Teletubbies, but you can't find them in stores anymore!! I may order one from eBay for his birthday...which is right after Christmas! I have such nice memories of Christmas when I was a little girl, so I hope that I can make it magical and fun for my kids.

I really want to use a real tree this year. We're thinking of getting one that we can plant in the Spring. Our yard needs some trees! We only have one! When I was a little girl, my dad used to cut down a cedar tree every year from my great grandmother's farm. I can still remember the smell of cedar that permeated the house mingled with the smell of warm Christmas lights. Those old fashioned kind with big bulbs. My brother and I would scoot up under the tree, lying on our backs to look up into the branches. It was so pretty and we imagined that we were small and could dance among the little angels, santas, snowmen and elves. My brother would fall asleep under the tree.

Well, I'd better go. I need to think about Thanksgiving instead of skipping right over to Christmas. I think that my next post will be about my best Thanksgiving memory. When I was about 4 years old, we had a big snow on Thanksgiving. Instead of going to my grandparents' house, we had to go much closer...to my great-grandmother's tiny house. It's a fun memory. Take care! I'd like to hear about your holiday memories from when you were a kid!

4 comments:

Bar L. said...

Poor MG, what a bummer for her - and you.

I think time away for you and MM is a great idea! I'd offer to come stay with the kids if I could. I've never had a husband, but I hear its important to keep the romance going even when the kids come along.

Good for you for nursing MB. My family gave me the hardest time for breastfeeding my son for a long time - but he rarely got sick!!!!

Linda said...

Sorry MG is sick. Thankfully, the only time Sophia has thrown up (other than spit up as a baby) was because she ate too much candy (you were lucky enough to witness that firsthand, unfortunately).

I loved Thanksgiving as a kid. My mom comes from a family of eight kids. We would go to my mom's parents house. There were so many of us that we had to eat in shifts. We always had the traditional turkey, but also had ham, pork and sauerkraut, fried oysters, regular dressing and oyster dressing and every imaginable side dish. It was awesome. I have made fried oysters a few times on Thanksgiving just because I remember it from my childhood. It was one of the few times during the year that I actually got to see my cousins, I lived in PA and they lived in MD. I can remember staying up late to see the Wizard of Oz.

Now we always go to my inlaws. We always get there early enough to watch the Macy's parade. Bob's aunt and her family come over. Sometimes his grandfather comes over, too! I am always glad when Sophia gets to spend some time with her Great-Grandfather. We always watch football and eat until the cows come home.

Thanksgiving to me is like the beginning to the magical Christmas season. It seems that there is a hint of Christmas cheer in the air!

Linda said...

I forgot to add yesterday that if you and Mark ever want to get out for an evening together, Bob and I could watch the little Metal Kids. I am fortunate in that Bob's parents always take Sophia (that could all change with a new baby in the mix), so I am glad to help others when I can. I know firsthand that it is important to get time with just your spouse (away from kids).

ChristyTN said...

Phew...today was interesting. MG was still sick and then MB got a touch of it too. Then Mark came home early from Staff Day because he has it worse than everybody. Fun, fun, fun. We got the "Cars" movie, so it helped to have that to watch today.

I think you're both right about it being important for Mark and I to have time alone together. Actually it probably is important to have total alone-time too.

I would like to take you up on watching the kids sometimes, Linda. It will be fun to see the kids playing together later on too.

Well, I'm glad that we're off work for the weekend so that we can all work on getting better!!!!!!!!!!!! No more poopy diapers....ugh!!!!!! That goes for you too Metal Mark!!