Sunday, January 27, 2008

Fire is Scary

Well, we had a strange experience today. Mark just happened to look out the front window to see smoke drifting past. Then we were in shock to see the little field beside us on fire! It had about five places that were burning. We just stood there a few seconds in shock because it just didn't make sense at first. This was especially odd because there is still some snow on the ground here and there. This was on Mark's fathers' property, so he and Mark ran out there to put it out because it was beginning to spread and two little fires joined. I called the fire department, but Mark and my father-in-law had just got the last fire put out when they arrived. They were worn out from running around throwing snow on the fire and stamping it. The firemen wet the whole area to make sure that it didn't flare back up. We don't really know how it started... something that especially bothers me! We suspect that someone flicked a cigarette out onto the field driving past or something. I was going to take a picture, but decided to try and forget about it instead. I'm glad that my hubby and father-in-law didn't get hurt! I know that this was a much milder incident, but now I appreciate how horrible it must be for people who experience the huge wildfires out in California. It is scary to see fire that close.

2 comments:

Bar L. said...

Thank goodness it happened during the day when Mark and his dad were both there to put it out!!! How scary! Did the kids see it?

Once when I was about 5 my dad accidentally dropped a cig butt in our car after arriving home from church and I opened our door to see our car in flames....I will never forget that. I don't remember how it was put out.

Fire is so powerful, it is VERY upsetting to be close to one.

Try not to worry, sweetie, it was most likely an isolated incident and won't happen again!

ChristyTN said...

Hi Barbara. The kids saw it. MG started asking questions about it, so I used it as a time to explain how we have to be careful with fire. She got to see the firemen spray the burnt areas, too, so I told her about fire fighters who help when we have a fire. I bet that was extremely scary to see your car on fire when you were 5! I am thankful that it happened in the Winter, and it didn't happen near the barn. It's scary to know how easily a fire can start with just a cigarette butt!