Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Trying to Be Good!


I've been trying to make healthy changes in our eating habits. The first thing I did was look through several cooking books and magazines and pick out healthy, delicious, easy-looking recipes. Then I made a list and bought all the ingredients for three different meals. This is new to me since I'm famous for feeding my family chicken nuggets and frozen pizzas. I love to cook, but it's been difficult organizing things and convincing myself that I can make time to do it.


Now I really understand why people enjoy using the Super Suppers type of business where you can go to prepare and put together meals for the whole week in their kitchen. It's not easy to make home cooked meals every day of the week like our mothers and grandmothers used to do. I feel that it really is hard to have time for it since I work part-time and take care of the kids. I have to try and get dinner ready before my work shift starts at 5pm on the dot.


My first meal yesterday was a slow cooker deal. It was very easy! Today I tried something harder that ended up being too tedious and difficult with two wild toddlers wrecking the house while I played chef. I'm definitely going to pick the easiest recipes that I can find from now on! Here's our menu for the week. Hopefully I'll improve and may even get proud enough to post pictures of my special home cooked meals on my blog! Tomorrow I'm cheating and making the soup from a really good mix.


This week's menu-

Tue. Herbed chicken and vegetables over rice

Wed. Creamed chicken with muffins

Thu. Cream of broccoli soup with steamed garlic carrots

Fri. Chicken and Couscous Supper

Sat. Miniature veggie pizzas

Sun. You're cooking on Sunday, Metal Mark! :)


I'm ashamed to tell you this, but I really was stressed out trying to cook my homemade meal today. The kids were literally pulling out bureau drawers and dumping the contents all over the floor just for fun. I cussed like a sailor and then later when things calmed down, I told MG that I was very sorry for saying those things. She said and I quote "Try to be good, Mommy. Say shucks." Then she said "I love you." Maybe things will get easier and less stressful as I get used to doing this. It really helps to plan out the weekday meals in advance over the weekend. I really want my family to be eating healthier instead of the nasty processed foods or fast food!

2 comments:

Bar L. said...

That is NOTHING to be ashamed of - I never cook for me son. I feel waves of guilt now.

Your menu for the week sounds great and yes - stick with simple. I don't know how mom's today can do all that our moms/grandmothers do UNLESS they do not work and their kids are in school.

ChristyTN said...

Yeah, I definitely have to figure out how to make it more simple! If it's not a slow cooker recipe, I should do some things the night before like cut up veggies and things like that. It hasn't helped that the kids did not take naps yesterday or today! Yikes!