Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Weighty Issues

I have weight issues. It's been especially difficult because I was always SO THIN as a child and teen & young adult. I guess my metabolism slowed down during my mid-twenties. That's when I first gained weight and went up and down with losing it and gaining it ever since. I used to do the slim fast diet and the three day diet. Then I had my first child and didn't lose all the pregnancy weight before getting pregnant with baby #2.

I've really been thinking about the psychological aspect of this. All too often, I will choose to stay at home instead of going to church or to a party or special event because "I have nothing that fits." It's true that most of my nice clothes do not fit me right now, but I think that there's more to it. I'm a shy person, so socializing is something that I really have to work at. Perhaps staying overweight has "helped" me to stay within my comfort zone. It's given me an excuse to continue being anti-social to some extent. This is not the best thing for my kids, so I really need to lose weight and become healthier. I think that it would help me to feel more energized too...I'm always so tired & feel like a sloth. I've got a lot to think about!


A blogger friend recently had a post about weight gain that really got me to think about this. It's something that I've been struggling with.

3 comments:

Linda said...

As you know, I have weight issues, too, but I am very outgoing. I need to loose weight and have done it on Weight Watchers before. Bob and I started walking with the kids every day we can and while I have not lost any weight yet, I am feeling better. Maybe start taking the kids for a walk at a park as apposed to walking where you live, because it forces you to get out of your zone!

As far as not getting out to things because of weight issues, sometimes you just need to force yourself. The people who want you do come to church or a social function are not going to judge you by the clothes that you are wearing. I too have the clothing issue at times, but I shop at discount stores and have been able to find something fresh for a very reasonable price. Sometimes a new outfit is just the confidence booster that you need. That is why there are organizations that refurbish clothes and give to women who are in need who may be looking for a job. Sometimes, clothes do make a woman!

Bar L. said...

hey, was that blogger friend me? I took that post off but a few people saw it and want me to put it back. I am a wishy washy blogger!!!

I totally identify with what you said here sweetie! Hang in there and be good to yourself, your are beautiful no matter what you look like.

Curly said...

I followed Layla here and I can say that I understand the weighty issues too. I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in the waisline battle.