Thursday, April 12, 2007

Cat Family

I have been trying to figure out what to do about our cat visitors. We have four. They are beautiful cats, but I worry about their fate if we take them to the shelter. Unfortunately, that's what we will have to do probably. I have fallen in love with them, so I'm depressed about this. I'll probably regret this, but I will describe them to you.

The mother is beautiful with long thick fur. She's black with white on her face and paws with striking white whiskers. Her eyes are big and yellow-ish green. She is very friendly.

There are three kittens who look to be about three or four months old. The female is all black with short hair and striking green eyes. She's a little shy. One male has long fur that's black and white, but with brown brushed on the tips of the fur. He has the most striking face with lots of white bushy whiskers. I think that he's the prettiest. He's a little shy as well. The other male has an injury. He's missing an eye. He has short hair that's black and white and the markings are like his mother. He is the nicest and friendliest of the bunch and loves Metal Girl who has named him Bo-bo.

I think that we are going to keep Bo-bo and take him inside the house after a visit to the vet. We feel that he is in most need of our help and he loves children and attention. I will have to take him to the vet next week to get his shots and to see if his eye injury can be helped. It looks like it must have happened when he was much younger, so it's not gory or anything. We just feel that if he went to the humane society, they would euthanize him because of the injury.

As you can see, I have fallen in love with all of them, so it's going to make me feel horrible to take any of them to the shelter. Two of my co-workers have stated that they want a second cat, but not right now. We've never had to take animals to the shelter before. Both of our indoor kitties were strays that we took in right away. Sigh. They're such sweet and beautiful cats. They want to be loved and fed.

I suppose that I'll post their pictures to see if anyone wants to travel across the country to adopt them from us. :) Or maybe some of you nearby people might want to adopt one. Just wait till you see their pictures. I am going to ask around over the weekend before we take them away. It will break my heart.

4 comments:

Bar L. said...

My heart is breaking just reading this! If I didn't already have four cats (plus two dogs and three rats) I'd totally adopt them!!!

I hope you keep Bobo!!

G. Shaun Jackson said...

Does your local newspaper have an "adoption" section for animals? We have had some success in adopting out animals this way in the past. If not you may be able to place a classified ad. Another option might be to let the parents at MG's preschool know. They may be looking for a pet and as you said before, these cats are good with kids. I know some folks that have had some success with taking animals to town on Saturdays and giving them away in front of Walmart or some other store (with the store's permission). Just some alternatives to the shelter. We get a lot of "drop offs" where we live and It is a shame to see a healthy, friendly animal go to waste.

Linda said...

Call me, I might be able to find a "no kill" shelter for you! I will start researching for you. It might be a good choice for you!

ChristyTN said...

Thanks for all the ideas! Barbara, you must have a soft spot for stray animals too! Yes Linda, I would love to find a no-kill shelter. I have already named the cats in secret. Even the two shy ones have taken to MG and come to her, so they are sweet with kids. (Unlike the two indoor cats that we have!) I looked on the local Humane Society web site & it really doesn't sound promising for cats finding homes. They don't deserve to be euthanized. We will keep Bobo since he's such a sweetie. He was the first little guy to show up too. The newspaper idea is a good one, too. I think that someone must have dropped these little guys off thinking that they'd live in the barn, but they need people.