Friday, April 20, 2007

Bobo to the Vet

Today I managed to take Bobo to the vet. It was quite an undertaking getting him there and inside with two kids in tow. We did it, though! He really is a sweetheart. And he is pretty healthy. His empty eye socket does have an infection, so I have to try to put antibiotic salve on it twice a day. He actually purred while they cleaned it! The only time that he was bad was when his blood was taken and when he got shots. He was just fine in the car as long as we sang softly to him. If we didn't do that, he would start meowing pitifully and trying to get out of the carrier.

I also called two animal shelters this morning. The no-kill shelter is filled and can't take the cats. But they can help in another way if we choose to do it. They can spay & neuter them at a lower cost and put them up for adoption on their web site. Then we'd have to deal with the people who are interested in adopting them and keep the cats here hoping that someone calls.

The third option is the humane society. I talked to someone there who said that they have an option where they try to adopt out the cats. Instead of euthanizing them if they can't find homes for them, they would call us to come back to get them. This would be the closest place to take them and the lowest cost. Keep in mind that Bobo's appointment cost around $170 today.

This has all been extra difficult to find time to take care of the cat situation since Mark and I have such different schedules. Mark can't take off much right now because of the loss of his supervisor. It's been a really stressful week. But I am glad that we got to help a sweet cat today. He's so incredibly nice. Still feeling a little overwhelmed, but it relieves some of the stress when I write about it. Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Bar L. said...

I needed this post tonight. I needed to be reminded of the kindness that people are capapble of. You and Mark are both wonderful, caring people. Oh behalf of animal lovers everywhere I say thank you!

I don't envy the decision you have to make about the cats, but would be great to have them spayed and neutered.

ChristyTN said...

Thanks Barbara,
I was feeling so drained last night, but I'm glad that we're saving a sweet cat's life. He especially unique because he loves both kids even with the tail pulling and roughhousing. I wonder how the poor little guy lost his eye. It must have happened when whe was very small.