Monday, February 26, 2007

Would This Annoy You?

I have a long time friend whom I've known since my freshman year in high school. He and I were close friends all through high school and then we went to the same college. He and Mark were college roommates and friends, so that is how I met Mark. He was also our wedding singer. :) To say the least, we've always been close friends and kept up with each others lives.

Well, he is expecting his first child and just found out that the baby will be a boy. He was talking on the phone with Mark updating us on these details and then announced that the baby's name will be the same as our little boy. It's not a very common name. We were very surprised, but even more surprised when our friend was shocked because he'd forgotten the name of our child! He didn't realize that he was choosing the same name at all!

Even though I've sent him several cards and pictures signed with the name, he couldn't remember it! I really don't mind him using the same name because that happens and no one owns a name, but it does surprise me that a close friend can't remember the name of my child. I don't think he remembered the name of my daughter either! Is it a gender thing... remembering details like the name of a child of a close friend? I always remember these things. Mark thinks that it's because he's never met our kids in person. I guess it shouldn't be such a big deal to me.

5 comments:

Bar L. said...

I would feel the exact same way - BUT, you and Mark are both right, its a gender thing AND he's never met the kids and had an opportunity to see their cute little faces and actually verbalize their names outloud.

Hopefully writing about it helped. I can totally see how you feel, but he's probably just being dense - not impersonal.

ChristyTN said...

Writing about it does help. It's nice to get it out so that I don't stew about it! :)

Mike said...

Like Mark sid, If he never met your kids, he has less chance of remembering their names. I do think it's odd that he wasn't saying to himself, "I like that name, but it sounds so familiar."

ChristyTN said...

I am curious at how they came up with the same name. I think that his wife saw it on my cards and liked it, and it probably stuck in the back of her mind. She is much more likely to actually read the cards than he is. :)

Amanda said...

yeah, the not remembering would upset me a bit.