Friday, January 12, 2007

I've been a little homesick for my family and the mountains in Tennessee. I've been remembering some happy times when I was a kid.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My dad used to get excited when we had snow. He loved Winter and Christmastime. Sometimes the mountains would have snow even if we didn't get it in the valley. Dad would take us up to Gatlinburg in his blue chevy truck. The rocky sides of the mountain along the winding road were covered in glistening icesicles. This is a picture along the road up to Gatlinburg in the Smoky Mountains that I found online. Just like I remember it.

I've really been missing my family. People I love age while I'm away, so I think about how they're not going to be here forever. Every moment we share with people we love is precious. My Dad died when I was eight, but he sure knew how to make lasting memories for me. I really want to write about them here sometimes. I don't want to forget those special times.

I've been just a bit sad thinking too much about things. I think that when I was sick I felt sorry for myself and then started thinking about sad things. I felt extremely crummy and felt so bad that I couldn't think straight enough to get us to the doctor. I thought that it was a really REALLY bad cold, but I'm pretty convinced that we had the flu. It went on and on for at least seven days, we had fevers and aching muscles, head colds and I was so weak that I could barely stand up in the shower. We're finally on the mend, but I really really should have taken the kids both to the doctor. I just didn't realize that it was worse than a cold. : ( The important thing is that we are ok now. Next time I'll be going to the doctor with the slightest sniffle. It usually doesn't happen this way with me being sick too.

We're finally getting our normal cold weather here in Maryland. I sure hope that it kills some of these germs. There are so many yucky stomach viruses, flus and colds being passed around. Just about everybody I know has been sick with something. I also hope that we get a beautiful bunch of snow soon!

3 comments:

Linda said...

Every now and then I miss where I grew up, but just like everything else, the area has changed quite a bit. Unlike you, my family no longer lives where I grew up, so I really don't go very often, maybe once every couple of years. In a way this is sad, too, because I can't go home there. Next year will be my 20th (yeah, I said 20th) high school reunion. I will try to go for two days, that way I can go to the reunion and still visit my few friends that I still keep in contact with and just take a drive around the area.

The thing I miss most about where I grew up are the apple trees in early spring. We had an orchard right behind our house. When the trees blossomed it was like your own personal Tournament of Roses Parade. It was beautiful and smelled niced, too. Sadly, the orchard that was behind my house was torn out, because the trees were really old. I think it has been replanted, but it will take many years until it reaches its former beauty. It sort of makes me sad when I think about this.

Anyway, I hope that you get to visit sometime soon.

Bar L. said...

Oh, that's very understandable to feel homesick. I am sorry you lost your dad at such a young age, that must have been really hard. I hope you do continue to write about him and share your memories. I miss my dad too.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

On the way up to upstate New York on 81, there's two large mountain scapes on the roadside that get those massive ice formations with a blue tint and I would always stop and take pictures, often getting out of the truck and scaring my wife to death...I can understand your homesickness.