Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Favorite Children's Book?



I love children's books. This morning I took the kids to a puppet show at the library based on Jan Brett's book The Mitten. We barely got there in time at 10 AM. All the traffic lights were green, so I was lucky! I love to read, but have been reading lots of children's books during the last three years for obvious reasons. I love them. I especially love Jan Brett's books. Her art work is so unique and beautiful. Metal Girl has also fallen in love with these stories. I made her a felt mitten with all the animals. We have to do this story every night. We also love Trouble With Trolls by this author.

I have lately been reading books that I loved as a child. I just read some of the Trixie Beldon mysteries. Next, I'm going to read a classic book that I've never read... Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I watched the first part of the Jane Eyre miniseries on PBS last Sunday evening. Are you guys reading anything good right now?

I feel rejuvenated today. It was nice to get out and do things. I got off to an extra nice start because the kids slept in today! This is a rarity indeed. I had a precious hour of free time this morning! It's amazing all the things that I was able to do within that hour. I knew that I had to take advantage of it while I could. :)

5 comments:

Bar L. said...

I loved re-reading all my faves when my son was little. Books are so IMPORTANT!

He loved "Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel" which is super old!!

I love to read and have recently have been reading old classics by Flannery O'Connor.

Linda said...

I totally missed the puppet show. First of all because I forgot, but second, because I am sick right now (YUCK!). Sophia was totally sad that we did not go.

Sophia has "The Mitten" also. Bob usually does the reading for right now, because Nicholas is still needing me so much. A favorite of Sophia's is still "Goodnight Moon" and right now she likes "The Cat and the Hat."

I have read "Jane Eyre." It is a great book. I would love to be able to read a book right now, but have not taken the time to choose one. Part of the reason this is so hard is because I am very particular about what I read. I love the classic, but will also read books that have been made into movies. I like to compare what I saw in my mind while reading with what the movie director sees.

ChristyTN said...

I had to make correction to my blog...Jane Eyre was written by Charlotte Bronte, not Emily :). I don't know why I typed Emily.

Layla- I love to read too. I used to stay up all night reading when I was a teenager. Now I try to read at night and can barely keep my eyes open long enough to read two pages!

Metal Boy's favorite book is this Cat board book by DK publishing. It's shaped like a cat's face with the picture of a real cat's face on the front. He loves cats...especially our two. He can already say cat and Tansy(our girl kitty).

Linda- I'm sorry you're feeling sick. It really is rough when you've got to do so many things while you're sick. When you all come over, I'll get out our felt mitten story and we'll do our own storytime. We don't have a flannel board, but everything sticks to our couch. I've been making a few different stories. Hope you feel better soon. Let me know if you'd like to borrow my Jane Austen DVDs. Sometimes it's easier to watch things than read.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

for me, easily The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss...the lessons it teaches are devastating in a good way

John Mutford said...

My kids love the Mitten, too. They're also fans of Brett's The Hat. I'm partial to her Christmas books.

Also on our favourites list:
1. The Very Hungry Caterpillar- Eric Carle
2. Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? and Polar Bear, Polar Bear What Do You You Hear?- both by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle
3. Hands, Hands, Fingers, Thumb- Al Perkins and Eric Gurney