Monday, October 30, 2006

A Ghost on the Stairs?

When I was a senior in college, my supervisor Judith asked me to house-sit for her. She had a beautiful old Victorian style home that had been renovated. I also got to take care of her sweet golden retriever named Perry. I was very excited to have some time away from my dorm room. It was a nice and brightly lit home, so ghosts were the last things on my mind when I agreed to stay there.

On that first night, I stayed in the guest room upstairs. I was reading a book and resting in this big soft comfortable bed, and Perry was sleeping on the rug beside the bed. Suddenly, I distinctly heard the sound of someone running up the stairs. The stairs were right there outside the room, so it was very loud and distinct. I leapt out of the bed and felt like my heart was leaping into my throat. I thought that a burglar was in the house and that I had just heard him run up the stairs and he should be right there in the doorway. Perry had jumped up too and was barking at the stairs. It was extremely scary.

But nobody was there. I know that I heard something. I don't think that I believe in ghosts, but I just don't know about this. It was definitely the sound of someone running up the stairs in the house. The dog sensed something too, unless she was just following my lead. After I looked around the house and made sure the doors were locked, I got Perry to get in the bed with me. It was hard to convince her to do so... I think it was a no-no with her owners.

There was another room in the house in which the doors would not stay shut. It was my supervisor's step-daughter's room. If I shut the door, it would pop back open. I thought that maybe it could have something to do with air pressure, but I watched the door after shutting it. I saw the door knob turn! Then Mark came over and he saw the same thing happen. It was very strange.

Later that year, we were visiting my supervisor at this same house for a Christmas party. We heard a few little bumps upstairs and my supervisor said "Oh, that's our ghost." Apparently, she felt that the house had a ghost!

If it wasn't for this incident in college, I would say that I don't believe in ghosts. I can explain away the door opening, but it's hard to think of what I could've heard coming up the stairs. I wasn't dozing off, so I don't think that it was my imagination. The houses were close together, so I tried to think that maybe someone in the house next door was running up those stairs. But it sure sounded loud and I thought someone was right there with me. I actually felt a presence. What do you think it was?

3 comments:

On My Watch said...

Isn't it a general rule that if a dog barks at nothing, but in a specific direction, then it must be a ghost? :) I think it was haunted. Spooky.

G. Shaun Jackson said...

My aunt used to live in a house she and the rest of her family claimed was haunted. They constantly told tales of hearing people walking around at night, and even, on occaision, sightings. One of my cousins speculated that since the floorboards were not installed tightly enough,they sagged when someone steps on them. Later, they will "pop up" making a sound similar to a footstep. Still what is the likelihood of the floorboards popping up in sucession making a sound like footsteps?

Bar L. said...

I think it was a ghost. I never believed in these things until I dated a guy who was SO SERIOUS about life and when he told me about a haunted house that had been in his family for years, I believed him.

I would have been SO SCARED if I were you!