Saturday, June 17, 2006

Happy Father's Day

Watching Mark take care of and interact with our children has really made me realize how important a good father is. He is a wonderful teacher and role model. Sometimes I know that I take him for granted, and I shouldn't. Especially since I know what it was like to grow up without a father.

I do have some cherished memories of my dad. He died in an accident when I was 7 years old. He was a fun daddy who let me help him plant vegetables in the garden, put together a swing set for me and helped me learn how to tell time. I also remember that he loved watching wrestling on TV. My mom used to say, "Why are you watching that awful stuff" and he would say "There's nothing else on!"

I also have nice memories of my grandfather. (My dad's dad!) He kind of stood in as a father after my dad died. I especially grew close to him after college when I lived with my grandparents for a couple of years. I sure miss him!

I'm especially blessed to have such a caring and sweet father-in-law. He is just wonderful. He loves his grandchildren, and he always stops in to help us in so many ways. Mark is just like him in that he loves children and has a caring and gentle nature.

Happy Father's Day to all you wonderful fathers out there! I truly appreciate the fathers in my family. Thank you for all that you do and for being such a good role model to our kids. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2 comments:

Bar L. said...

I'm sorry you lost your dad at such an early age but am glad your grandpa stepped in to help. Mark seems like a great dad. This was a very sweet tribute to the dads in your life. God bless you.

Pixie said...

I m sorry about your dad, he sounds one in a million. I grew up without a dad too(although I don't think he even knew I existed).Mark does sound like a kick ass Dad =)