Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Don't Poke Your Brother in the Eye

Yes, this unfortunate event actually happened twice today. "Jelly Bean" decided to do this out of the blue while I was cooking supper and had the baby in the kitchen beside me. JB had been good to him all day, so I was shocked when she went up to baby and poked him near the eye, slightly scratching his eyelid. She would not take a nap earlier, so I immediately put her in her bed to rest. Sometimes she acts up when she's really tired. I also did not realize that she did it on purpose.

She did the same thing later. It happened so quickly and then she tried to pretend that she didn't do anything! She made his eyelid bleed this time. We put her in time out and you would have thought by her yelling and crying that we had done something much worse. She said that she was sorry and was nice to the baby the remainder of the night.

Needless to say, I am deeply disturbed that this happened. We're lucky that she did not scratch the baby's eyeball. I tried to think of anything that would have caused her to act out for attention. I did extra things with her today, so I don't think that's it. It must simply be that she was tired and really needed that nap. I'm just going to have to insist on that nap every day even if she's lying there awake for an hour. She needs a time of rest every day no matter what.

I've cried about this today because it upsets me that she would deliberately hurt her baby brother. She's only two though, and must not completely understand. I had just been bragging about how sweet she has been to him lately... always giving him kisses when he's upset or bringing him a blanket or toys. She is very sweet with him the majority of the time, so I was really taken off guard with what happened today. Sigh.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Awww I would be weirded out and upset too. I guess two year olds just don't have that little voice in thier heads yet that tell you NOT to act on those irrational urges that humans have. *shrug* Maybe it was more of a "Gee I wonder what would happen if I did this" instead of intentionally trying to hurt. =o)

ChristyTN said...

Thanks, Jenn. You're probably right! I think I read too much into it. She was probably thinking "Ooh pretty eye...I want to touch it!" He does have these great big blue eyes.

Come to think of it, I am very close in age with my brother. I remember when he was taking a nap, I would sometimes lift up his eyelid to see what his eye looked like while he was sleeping. Amazingly, it did not wake him up!