Wednesday, June 27, 2007

An Element of Melancholy

I haven't felt much like writing about this. I've been decreasing the meds that I've been taking to treat postpartum depression. It's been a little difficult, but now I am feeling ok. In fact, I'm very glad that I'm doing this for several reasons. I have actually felt much more patient with the kids and have had less mood swings throughout the day. I feel happy during the day. At night is a little harder. I'm tired and tend to think about bad things when I'm sleepy. I have to say, though, that it's ok to be a little melancholy. Maybe that's just part of my personality. I'm much more creative when I have that element of melancholy. I used to write poetry before the kids were born. I hadn't written a poem in three years until this week! And I wrote three in one night. I'm not brave enough to share them here, though. Maybe I will sometime! :)

3 comments:

Linda said...

Congrats on getting off the meds. Sometimes I feel like I could use them, but then I don't really want to deal with it. Keep writing and when you are ready to share, I will be here!

Bar L. said...

Big hug, sweetie. Congrats for cutting down and also for recognizing the need for them in the first place! Too many people think its "wrong". I think I am stuck on my meds for life, I get way, way down if I try to get off.

I would love to read your poems if you ever feel like sharing but I understand what a vulnerable and courageous thing it is to share that kind of writing.

ChristyTN said...

Thanks for the encouraging words! It was a bit of a down day for me today. I've done ok as long as something crazy doesn't happen. For example, today MB got sick and barfed as he ran through the kitchen. So he did it on himself and all over the floor in several spots. Then of course both kids went slipping and sliding through it. Just a little gross, huh?!

I really am glad that I took the meds for postpartum depression. It really has helped me. I'm going to keep trying with decreasing the meds, but I really have to see how things feel. And maybe I will have to go to therapy or counseling to further figure out what I need to do...especially since I've had some problems with depression since childhood.