Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Happy Flowers!

Today happens to be both Mommy's Day and my birthday. This morning when my daughter got up, I told her that it is Mommy's special day. She said "Happy happy flowers!" She also gave me a very sweet birthday kiss. It's neat that she said that because I have always associated Mother's Day and my birthday with flowers.

There was always a beautiful and sweet smelling pink rosebush in full bloom behind my childhood home on Mother's Day. We would get up early that morning to get ready for church and slip out to the rosebush. My mom and I would each take a rose and wear the roses as corsages to church. What a sweet memory.

Also in bloom on my birthday would be a lilac bush beside our house. It smelled so lovely. I would pick lilacs on my birthday, and Mom put them in a vase for me on the kitchen table. We could smell them throughout the house.

Today I felt so tired because my baby has resumed his 4am feeding. Mark went out and bought a cake and some beautiful plants and flowers to plant in our yard. I watched out the window as my daughter "helped" her daddy by digging around in the dirt.

My daughter loves flowers too. I have a few gardening books around from the library and some that I own. She loves looking at them like picture books and says "Ooh flowers!" She names all the different colors. She gets so excited to see the flowers blooming around our house.

This has been a nice Mother's day. We're going to go up to Mark's parents' house for dinner. Have a great day and enjoy the flowers! Happy happy flowers to you!

3 comments:

Linda said...

Happy Happy Mother's Day and Birthday! I am glad that you had a good day. I did as well.

Amanda said...

I LOVE lilacs. I have a little bush growing in our front flower bed. When I opened the living room window, the breeze blew in the lilac fragrance! It was wonderful. Actually I'm lucky it's grown. I planted it 3 years ago. 2 years ago hubby cut it to the ground with the weed whacker. This is the first year it's bloomed. Glad you had a Happy Mother's Day.

Ash said...

Happy Mother's Day!!! Wow 19 lbs at 4 months, what a chunkamuffin! Toby's thighs get caught in the bumbo so it comes with him when I pick him up as well. I'm sorry your little guy has resumed the 4am feeding, Toby all of a sudden went from sleeping all night to waking to eat at 2:30! Then at 5 or 6 he's up for the day - siiiighhhh.