Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Dumbest Thing

This is the story of the dumbest thing that I've done in my life. I look back at this moment with humor and wanted to share it. This is also the story of my first car wreck.

When I was first out of college, I worked two part time jobs and had a two hour break in-between. While driving to my second job at 2pm, I saw a car coming at me from the right from a parking lot. The driver wasn't stopping! I pushed the gas to try to get out of her way, but she nipped my back bumper and I had to pull over with it dragging behind me.

I got out of the car, but the other driver had backed up into the parking lot and stayed in her car. I was dazed when she told me to get in her car and that she would drive me to the nearest pay phone which was within sight. That way we could call the police. She admitted that it was her fault. She seemed very sweet.

I jumped in the car and my heart sank as she drove past the pay phone and quickly cut over to a side road! I yelled "What are you doing?!!" Just then, she ran off the road and hit a fence on my side. The car went into a ditch with the passenger door pressed into the bank. I had to push her out of the car to climb out myself.

Next, the woman sat down at the side of the road and started smoking a cigarette. The police came and asked me if I knew that the woman was drunk. I was very silly and did not know. The policeman didn't know what to think when I told him the whole story...that a drunk woman wrecked my car and then I jumped in her car and was involved in a second wreck. Pretty unbelievable.

Then the policeman explained that the first wreck had happened just over the county line, so the other county's police had to be summoned as well. It turned into a big fiasco with four policemen from two counties having to sort things out.

The story got a bit crazier when it was discovered that the drunk woman didn't own the car, she was test driving it from a local dealership! And she had a revoked license! The dealership paid me the worth of my junky car, so I was able to use it to help pay for a better one!

Well, whenever I'm feeling low and think I did something dumb, I can always think back to this story and say "Nope, I'll never top that one."

1 comment:

Ash said...

Wow! Now that's a story to tell people! All my stories lately just seem to be about diaper changes and baby food.