Saturday, March 25, 2006

Postpartum Blues

My little one is turning me into a morning person! He likes to get up and eat at about 6:00 AM every day. It's actually making me feel better. I get some extra time for fun things. And I get to enjoy a smiling baby! Last evening, I posted on a blog of someone suffering from postpartum depression. Since I've had problems with it myself, I thought I'd write a few lines about that.

After having each baby, I initially was on cloud nine. I was running on excitement and adrenaline. Then after a few weeks after my first baby, I crashed down from the clouds as reality set it. I had postpartum depression.

It's normal to get the blues after having a baby because of hormone changes and exhaustion, but I was extremely depressed. I let it go until about three months. Then one night I cried all night and couldn't stop crying. It was so horrible and uncontrollable. I was also having extremely scary feelings of wanting to hurt my baby. That was the thing that made me call my doctor the next day... I felt that it was an emergency situation. That's when I knew something was really truly wrong. I started treatment for it and got better.

This time, I headed it off at the pass. I'm already being treated for it. I just had a feeling that it would happen again. I'm a little prone to depression anyway. Having a baby makes me a little more crazier than I already am!

I have to go now! Little one is crying for some attention. Have a great day!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

thanks for your comments! good for you for being pro active and hopefully taking care of things before anything happened.

Linda said...

I got the baby blues, but not the full-out postpartum depression. I can remember leaving the hospital overwhelmed and thinking "oh no, what do I do now?" It was scary. I can not imagine what you went through.

I have had several friends go through this and the most important thing that anybody can do is to get help! As with any other situation, deciding that there is a problem is the hardest step. I am glad that you got help and still continue the treatment.

Bar L. said...

I commend you for recognizing the need to get help!!!! Good for you, not all women can see what's happening since they are so bogged down in the blues.

Depression sucks, but meds help. I am a firm believer in meds for clincial depression!!! I'd be dead without mine - literally.

ChristyTN said...

I definitely want to be the best that I can be for my kids. I know that it would hurt them to have a depressed Mommy. I grew up with a very depressed mother who refused to take meds for it. Experiencing that makes me know that I can't let myself get that way. I'm so thankful that there is something we can do about it.