Thursday, October 23, 2008

Twilight Zone

Do you ever have one of those days that you feel like you're losing your cool? I'm usually able to be patient and calm with my kids these days, but today it was so hard. I'm going to tell you what happened today in detail so that I can try to sort out why it was a hard day and why I feel so bad about it.

1. I woke up to a messy house and realized that I'd need to clean it up today. Then I had the idea to rearrange some of the furniture to help resolve the messy house syndrome. Well, I ended up going through all of MB's clothes and weeding out his size 3's since he can't fit into them anymore. Then I moved a big dresser into his bedroom and put all of his clothes into that.

2. Meanwhile, the kids are off in other parts of the house making messes that they normally don't make. They poured all of the clean laundry (some of it already folded) out of the laundry baskets onto the floor, blew there noses on tissues and threw the tissues on the floor, poured milk all over the table and onto the floor on purpose, threw lots of toys on the floor, dumped their dad's baseball card collection all over the floor, dumped other things on the floor...the floor had a rough day.

3. By the time I finished my rearranging of the furniture, there was all the above messes on the floor to clean up. And it was time to cook dinner. And it was time to wash dishes. I felt totally overwhelmed and stressed out and sad. I got so upset with the kids because after making the messes they took off outside and got in the car. And they weren't dressed! I had to chase them around the yard because they were in their undies and have terrible colds and it's cold outside!

The thing is, they seemed to not understand that these were not good things to do. I was so upset. Then it was time to go to work and in my anger I said that I was going to work and not coming back! Poor MG believed me and cried. Then MM came home and mentioned how messy the house was! What a day. I just can't figure it out. Was it just one of those bizarre days that comes only once in a great while that just can't be explained and I should just forget that it ever happened????? I hope so.

2 comments:

HLiza said...

Sounds like one of my days too..

Bar L. said...

I'm sorry. I know it doesn't help to hear this, but we all have days like that you are not alone!