Thursday, November 15, 2007

Guests for Thanksgiving & Mixing Traditions

We just found out that we are going to have guests for Thanksgiving. :) I am very excited. Mark's brother and my sister-in-law plus their three children are coming up next Tuesday! We just saw them a few weeks ago and stayed there for the first part of our vacation in Kentucky. That was the best part of our trip. I'm really looking forward to seeing them again. I love talking to my sister-in-law, so this will be very nice. We didn't think that they would be able to come, so this is such a great surprise! It is such a treat to see the cousins playing together, and what fun it will be! Now I have some motivation to CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN this weekend.

When I first moved to this area, I was surprised when my mother-in-law cooked sauerkraut to go with the turkey and stuffing for Thanksgiving. That is a traditional Thanksgiving side dish here! And it's not the sauerkraut that I grew up with. It is cooked with caraway seed, apples, potatoes and sausage in the slow cooker. It is delicious. I'll have to get some tips on how to prepare it this way. Then I'll definitely have to make my mom's version of Southern cornbread dressing. It's going to be a mixture of traditions. It'll be fun!

4 comments:

Bar L. said...

Yum, can I fly over there to join you?

Sounds like you are in for a fun time. Enjoy!

Linda said...

I had actually been to a friend's house for Thanksgiving (in our area) and they had never heard of Sauerkraut for thanksgiving. We always made it with Pork, but now we make it plain, because we are vegetarian. Your MIL's version sounds so great.

My mom's whole family used to get together for Thanksgiving and it was a huge feast. We would have turkey, pork & sauerkraut, fried oysters, oyster dressing, regular dressing, gravy with oystyers, regular gravy, succotash, mash potatoes, sweet potatoes, and PIE!

We always go to my inlaws and we have your pretty standard fair. This year I am making dressing, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes (which have brown sugar and pecans on top), some vegetarian as a main course and a pecan pie. Bob's mom makes the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, veggies and pumpkin pie. We always have appetizers, too.

Needless to say, I can not wait until next week. I know Nicholas will enjoy himself, because he loves to eat. Sophia will like being with other people.

I hope that you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

HLiza said...

Oh this is new..what's a Sauerkraut? Sound funny..well..I just wanna wish you Happy Thanksgiving dear!

ChristyTN said...

I'm sorry! I haven't checked my blog for a week. Hliza asked, "What's sauerkraut"? It's shredded cabbage that's been cured or pickled (I think). Mine turned out really good! :)