Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Fatness is in the Eye of the Beholder

I became friends with Yoko from Japan and Betty from Kenya during my first year in college. Yoko told me that her family really teased her when she went back home for a visit. They thought that she'd gotten fat during her first year in the US. She wasn't overweight! She looked so tiny to me! With Betty's family, it was an opposite reaction. They were horrified that she had LOST weight and thought that she looked too thin! So, who is fat?
I know the answer. It's me. I am fat! Sometimes I see other mothers with kids and they are so thin! How did they get so tiny after having two and sometimes three kids? How did it happen? Were they ever chubby? Why am I having such trouble losing weight? Maybe they had to struggle and diet just like me. Maybe it's easier for some people to lose weight than others just depending on their body type.

Well, I had been trying to cut back on my eating and trying to exercise more,but it wasn't good enough. I have been stuck at the same weight for several weeks. Today I decided that I have to start doing something more drastic. I started using slimfast. I thought...hey, this isn't so bad. I had a slimfast shake and a spoon of peanut butter for breakfast. Later I had a celery stalk for a snack. For lunch, I had the shake and a baked potato. I started cooking dinner and felt so extra hungry and mean & kept making mistakes & fumbling things. Now I feel ok since I ate a normal dinner... lots of squash from the garden and two small slices of pizza! Hope that this gets easier!

Many hours later......update 4:11 AM
WIDE AWAKE! I'm mean and hungry, too. I drank a cup of coffee around 9PM...big mistake. Now all I can do is contemplate life and think too much, because I am not going to give in to the temptation to eat. I just now drank a glass of water, and that feels better. This isn't going to be easy is it?



5 comments:

Bar L. said...

I wish I could sit down with you and talk about this in person.
I am concerned about you not eating enough. I know how frustrating it is to not see that scale move! But please please please don't train your body to survive on minimal calories....I've been there done that and its a huge regret. Can I make a suggestions (like you can stop me...lol). Stay away from the scale for a week or two. Put on a pair of jeans that is too tight and compare them every few days to see if they are getting looser.

I've been fat and thin and I hate being fat, but one of the reasons I am fat is because I f'ed up my metabolism by starving to be thin!! I don't want that to happen to you.

Just keep eating healthy and don't give up and don't rely on that stupid scale.

I'm talking to myself too. I feel like a huge cow right now. At least you have a loving husband that sees you as his beautiful woman no matter what the scale tells you...that's a huge blessing :)

Linda said...

I have lost, but am still right around the 25 lb mark. I would suggest that you see your doctor and see what they reccommend. It took me about 8 months to loose 50 lbs before. It is key to loose slowly. Barbara is right about the scale. I think that you give youself extra stress when you check each day.

While Slimfast might work in the short term, you can't look at this as a diet, it needs to be a lifestyle change or it is very hard to keep off the weight that you have lost.

ChristyTN said...

Barbara and Linda, Thanks for your suggestions. I think that the slimfast is doing nothing for me except making me feel like crap. it even seems to make me feel like eating bad things more...like last night I mixed chocolate chips with peanut butter!

I really need to do the exercise. That right there is my main problem. It's actually hard for me to find time to do a really good workout other than taking the kids on walks. I need to get my butt up early and do it before the kids wake.

I've also discovered that not eating right and cutting back on my antidepressant doesn't combine very well. :( I just hate being shaped like a pear. I think that I need to hide the scale. I'll try your suggestions.

Linda said...

You're trying to get off meds and I am trying to get on. :) Between the stress of the two kids, loosing weight, no sugar and just life in general I am having no fun right now. The pediatrician won't let me take any meds, because of breastfeeding. It is sort of stinky.

Walking is a very good excercise, so even if that is all that you do, it is far better than the nothing that I am doing. If I walked the four times a week that I should, I could probably loose weight better. I don't have the time most days and to be honest, I am way too lazy!!!

ChristyTN said...

Linda, maybe we'll feel more like walking now that we're getting a few days of cooler weather. Won't that be nice? MG & MB have been so sick for the last few days with crummy Summer colds of all things! And of course I'm getting it too!

I hope that you'll get to take the meds if needed. It really did help me. I was prescribed Zoloft which is supposed to be safest one to take while breastfeeding. I've reduced my dosage, but I'm not ready to go all the way off it yet. I'm sorry that you've been feeling bad.