Sunday, July 30, 2006

First Family Trip

We're leaving for our first family trip together this week. I made this horribly huge list of things we need to take. You'd think that we're going away for a month! I am looking forward to getting away from work and the house for a few days! I started packing tonight, but will have to finish in the morning.

We're not going far...just 1 and 1/2 hours up the road. We're going to Lancaster, PA and plan on visiting a little kids' theme park and we're going on a train ride... both things MG is already excited about. This will give us practice for longer and further trips.

We are hoping to visit TN sometime, but are not looking forward to a 10 hour drive with a toddler and an infant. My family really is bugging us to come, but do not understand how difficult it will be. They haven't met MB yet, either.

One thing that I'm a little nervous about is that I may have to NIP (nurse in public) since we'll be out and about doing different things when MB will get hungry. I've done it a couple of times in public, but it's been in places that I felt comfortable doing it. I really am shy about doing it, but I will if needed. Feeding my baby is much more important than a little embarrassment.

Did you all hear about or see the front cover of the BabyTalk magazine for August? It's a picture of a baby on mommy's breast. I think that it's a beautiful picture. You can tell that baby must be looking right into mommy's eyes. Anyway, there are some people who are very upset by it.

Ah, well. It's past time for me to get to bed! After midnight! Oh no. I just thought of something that I have to do for work before we leave tomorrow. Yuck. I guess I'll have to do it in the morning...too tired now.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Yea, everyone is talking about that piture. I never think breastfeeding pictures are "disgusting" (I think that was the wrod they used)......but even if you do, that picture was pretty mild. I've seen worse.

Mike said...

We drove to Ocean City, MD (about 5 hours) with our daughter who was 8 months at thge time. Not fun when she's screaming mosty of the way back.

Linda said...

Sophia's first long car trip was to Ocean City, also. It is about 3 1/2 to 4 hours away. She was fine at first, but screamed the last hour or so, it was horrible. Now she does great, so MG should be fine.

I hope that you guys enjoy the time away.

As far a NIP, I am the same as you, I never really mastered it during my first go around. Hopefully, I will do better this time.

I am sure that the people who get upset by a picture of a baby breastfeeding must be really stupid. It is a natural thing and should not be shunned.

G. Shaun Jackson said...

I think it is completely backwards. Society can take the most natural thing in the world and vilify it. Immaturity is the problem. Someone told Karen that you can buy an extremely oversized shirt and nurse the baby under it so the complainers (idiots) can’t see. Just an idea. -Shaun