Thursday, July 27, 2006

Brave Mommy!

I took both kids to the park today for a picnic and play. This is the first time I've done it on my own. I felt pretty brave! We managed to get the baby fed and he was very happy the entire time. The park has a baby swing that he loves. MG was extremely excited and slid down even the biggest slides! She really had a ball playing in the sand and on the swings too. There was one strange encounter with another Mommy from outer space that I have to write about.

There were two Mommies sitting in the pavilion watching their kids playing in the sandbox. I could hear them in a deep discussion about something. I parked my double stroller in a level spot in front of the sandbox so that it wouldn't roll away while I got MB out and put him on a blanket nearby. Meanwhile, MG was already playing when I heard weird Mommy yelling at someone to "Move over! Move over!" Well, I didn't realize that she was yelling at me! Next, she was running past me and to the sandbox to get onto my daughter for throwing sand. I didn't see it happen, so I asked what did MG just do? Alien Mommy said "Oh she was just tossing lots of sand up into the air." Interesting. Then I saw MG taking a small shovel of sand and flip it up in the air. Ok, not SO horrible. I did take her aside and explain that flipping sand could hurt someone or get into their eyes and not to flip sand up into the air. I am glad that she wasn't throwing it at anyone on purpose.

Even though I was ticked off at this Mommy for being quite weird, I think I handled things ok. The sand thing wasn't what got me so irritated though. It was that I realized that she had been yelling at me for having my stroller in her line of vision! It's too bad that she wanted to sit up there and gossip instead of moving closer to watch her kids or interact with them.Oh well! I did move my stroller even though she didn't ask me nicely. I have actually seen this mother at the park several times, so I guess I may have to look forward to more encounters. What fun!

We did have a wonderful time despite this. MG was very sweet to the younger children on the slides. One little boy was scared to go down a double slide, so she went down it with him several times. It was very sweet. She's definitely showing off her big sister skills! This same little boy lost his shoe on the slide. MG ran over and retrieved it for him and was trying to put it on his foot. Very cute!

Since we haven't been to the park in a long time, MG pitched a terrible temper tantrum when trying to leave. I tried to reason with her when she threw herself into the floor of our car and wouldn't get up. I had to wrestle her into the seat and buckle her in after failing at reasoning with her for ten minutes. She was ok once she got cooled off in the airconditioning and had a drink. Then we came home and I had to carry her sleeping and she slept through me changing her diaper and washing her off. Then she woke up and wouldn't sleep during her nap.

When I finally went in to get her up from her "nap", I found that there was a ST (Stinkin Turd) in the middle of the floor. I asked "How did that get there?" because I thought that it may have been one of the cats! She said "I pull out and throw!" I hesitated and looked at it, and she yelled out in delight "Mom's a chicken! Cock-a-doo! Cock-a-doo!" Remind me to tell her about this when she's a teenager.

Sigh. I'm so tired! I needed a nap, too, after all of that!

5 comments:

Mike said...

You handled that other mother better than I would have. I probably would have told her where to go. MetalGirl sounds very cute, dispite throwing poo on the floor. My first reaction would have been to blame and yell at both of my cats.

Metal Mark said...

Our cats do leave poo balls on the floor sometimes.

Linda said...

I hate when other parents don't watch their kids closely. Like you said, she should have been closer instead of depending on you to provide a line of vision to her child. First of all, she was not watching, so how does she know that her kid did not iniate the sand throwing. Like Mike said, you handled this better than me. I may not have confronted her face to face, but she definitely would have known that I was mad!!

Jenn said...

Yea, Mike would have bene wanting to go yell at the woman and I would have been all like SHHHHHH just LET IT GO!!! I'm not a fan of confrontation either. *shrug*

Oh, and I'm not looking forward to my daughter thinkin it's funny to throw poo balls on the floor. AT ALL! =o)

ChristyTN said...

I really did feel like telling that other mother where to go! These things always catch me off guard. I'm never expecting it when it happens. It was after she'd yelled at my kid that I realized the thing with the stroller being in her line of vision. I got so mad at that moment that I turned around and gave her the dirtiest look that I could. Unfortunately, she was right back to talking to the other mother and completely oblivious.

Her daughter eventually slipped off to another part of the playground and this same mother panicked when she realized that she was no longer in the sandbox! And this time she had no excuse...my stroller had been moved by then.

I have to say that her kids were extremely sweet. I talked to them both, and they were playing with MG and sharing their digging tools. So she must be doing something right, even though she wasn't watching them!